After a long break, here I am with a recipe for 100% whole wheat bread. I generally bake them on Sundays and pack for my son's breakfast, the next 3 days. With creamy onion and tomato spread and carrot toppings, these soft and fluffy buns are very filling and healthy as well.. Though they don't taste exactly like white bread, we have got used to the taste of wheat in baked goods and I no longer use all purpose flour/maida.
Here is the recipe
Recipe Adapted from: vegrecipesofindia.
Ingredients to make around 9 medium sized buns
|Wheat Flour||2 3/4 cups||I used aashirvad aata|
|Gluten||2 tbsp||Optional but highly recommended as it gives softness to whole wheat bread.|
|Water||1 1/4 cups||Might need extra 1 or tbsps|
|Instant Yeast||1/2 tbsp||I used gloripan yeast|
|Oil||2 tbsp||I used sunflower oil|
|Salt||1 tsp||I used sunflower refined oil|
1. Heat 1 1/4 cups of water. If its too hot, wait till it comes to lukewarm. (If the water it hot, yeast wouldn't work as expected.)
2. Dissolve sugar in water, then add yeast to it. (If using instant yeast, it can be added directly to flour, but I followed this procedure)
3. While the yeast is proofing, in a large bowl, mix flour, gluten and salt. The add oil and mix.
4. Add the yeast mixture to flour and start kneading. If the dough is too stiff, add 1 or 2 tbsp more water.
5. Knead for 5 to 7 minutes till the dough becomes smooth and soft.
6. Grease the dough with oil and transfer to a large bowl. Cover loosely with kitchen towel and allow it to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (I generally place the bowl inside the oven, of course without switching it on)
7. With wheat flour, the dough does not doubles up, but raises to some extent.
8. After 1 1/2 hours, deflate the dough by punching it and divide into 9 equal sized balls.
9. Shape the dough to desired shape(round, rectangular etc) and arrange them in the baking tray.
10. Allow them to raise again for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Apply oil lightly on the top of the buns.
11. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C and bake the buns for 25 minutes.
12. Allow them to cool a bit before slicing.
Enjoy with jam or any savory spread.